Video of the Week - Jon Steward Raps Out Faux News... LOL...

Friday, April 15, 2011

Critique of Classmate's Blog

My response to Marisa Contreras's Blog Education for Everyone.

I've read your post and agree with you 100% about how everyone should get a chance at education no matter how they have entered the country. I believe this also allows those people to get a bigger jump start in life so that they will not turn to the life of crime. Education is very important and this country does not care enough about education, instead we care more about buy more and more big guns that are protecting us from some “paranoia” monster. The amount of money spent on our military could probably be used to revamp our education system twice over and more. Instead, we choose to keep cutting back on education, cutting teacher salaries, and close schools, so that we can spend more on guns.

One of the biggest steps in giving a chance of education to everyone is the introduction of the “Dream Act”. This act would allow illegal immigrants to gain citizenship through a serious of steps and becoming a citizen would allow those people to gain federal grants which will in turn help them them get more education. This act has been turn down several times due to Senate Filibusters and has been reintroduced over and over. Each time, tougher restrictions are placed on illegal immigrants and therefore makes it so much harder for those people to try to apply. The amount of restrictions placed in newer versions of the act is so outrageous that I wonder why this didn't pass so Congress could say “Hey, we passed this, but it's not our problem they're aren't talking advantage of it”.

In the end, it is our responsible as citizens to voice our opinions to the government. If there aren't enough of us on board, then there isn't much to do. Some believe that citizens should get the first chance but I believe everyone should get this chance at the same time. I considered myself lucky to be able to attain grants and loans to go to college and start a better life. This in turn also encourages me to try to seek out ways to get people off of the streets and into schools so they can help us make this nation a better place for everyone. The only way to do that is to be educated so politicians can't look down on them with their fancy Harvard degrees and say “Look at those people, they don't deserve to be in this country”

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a 21 year old student getting the transfer credits out of the way so I can transfer to pharmacy school (I hope).I wasn't born in the states but was practically raised in Austin but I have moved around a bit. I think the fact that I wasn't born here and have knowledge of another culture, I can sort of see over the "veil" that is so called American culture and politics. I am a liberal as proven to me by the online test that we had to take in Professor Seago's US politics class. Before that, I wasn't all that sure. Living in a spot of blue in a sea of red, to me is quite amusing. I believe that we need more liberal thinkers in this state in order to solve many of the state's problems. I am taking the class so that I can further my knowledge of Texas politics and stay ahead of the ignorant mass that plague this state and country. I feel proud to be living in a bastion of liberalism however, it is still not enough to provoke the Texas government into twisting its head on back on. I do hope in the future to move on and live in a state where people care about each other and think as a community as opposed to living in a traditional and individualistic state such as Texas.