Video of the Week - Jon Steward Raps Out Faux News... LOL...

Friday, February 25, 2011

True Lies About Immigration

 Ever since the state of Arizona passed its ridiculous immigration law, I've been wondering to myself if that law was just a scapegoat for lawmakers to be racist so that they could attain power or is it a law that would help immigration reform? Also do lawmakers honestly know how hard it is for a person of Hispanic origins to attain legal status in this country? Perhaps they do know; but in order for them to get votes from people who have no understandings of this subject matter, they must not care. So we're back to cynical politicians using scapegoat tactics to attain power, if you ask me I would rather have a monkey running for power.

According to this post written by Rubben Navarrette, Special to CNN, Mr. Navarrette expresses his opinions about Janet Napolitano's speech about immigration and border security in El Paso, Texas. He praised her for pointing out how the Republicans are using scapegoat tactics and overstating the facts in order for them to gain "political points". Well I guess this is true, how else could have Jan Brewer become governor? Surely she didn't win the election because she wants to honestly serve the people. If she wants to truthfully serve the people then she wouldn't approve of such a one sided piece of legislation. These tactics aren't just for politicians to gain power but also to get support for restrictive immigration policies intended to provide an image to Americans of what it was like in the "good old days". The "good old days" where kids would do their chores and teenagers would get after school jobs. Mr. Navarrette suggests that nowadays, kids are lazy and instead of searching for jobs, they are playing video games and posting on Facebook.

Therefore, the vacuum of vacant jobs are being filled by illegal immigrations. I really recent that statement, I may play video games but I don't post on Facebook a lot and I'm trying my best to find a job. I know a lot of people who either have a job or honestly trying to find one. I believe the real reason is that many of us think that a lot of the jobs we can attain at our education level are beneath us. Jobs such as flipping burgers, washing cars, or dish washing, are jobs many teenagers avoid because of the social impact it could have. However, these jobs have to be filled or else there will no burgers to eat, no clean cars, and no clean dishes at your local favorite restaurant. So that is probably why, many employers will look for employees elsewhere. More than likely, most of the employees that occupy these jobs will probably be illegal immigrants. People that don't care how socially negative the job is, as long as they can feed their kids and have a little spending money, they simply do not care. Then we go back and say "those darn Mexicans are taking our jobs". I wonder do we even know the definition of the word "irony"?

Lastly, I wanted to point at something Mr. Navarrette pointed out about Janet Napolitano's speech. At first, during her speech, she criticizes people for playing politics with immigration and border security, then later in the speech; what does she do? She plays politics with immigration. I guess this is when a lot of the people would call her a "hypocrite". Remember in the beginning when I told you that this speech was in El Paso, Texas? I would imagine El Paso, being a border town and all would have a huge Hispanic population. Yet, when accuse of her department not doing their jobs properly, Janet Napolitano overcompensate by bragging about how in the last two years, her department has deported more than 779,000 illegal immigrants. At this point, I would have ran for the hills if I was foolish enough to say something like that in front of such a crowd.  Bottom line is that, I don't think there will be a day when such a hot topic such as immigration will be finally put to rest. Especially when politicians are using such deplorable tactics and people having such one sided opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a 21 year old student getting the transfer credits out of the way so I can transfer to pharmacy school (I hope).I wasn't born in the states but was practically raised in Austin but I have moved around a bit. I think the fact that I wasn't born here and have knowledge of another culture, I can sort of see over the "veil" that is so called American culture and politics. I am a liberal as proven to me by the online test that we had to take in Professor Seago's US politics class. Before that, I wasn't all that sure. Living in a spot of blue in a sea of red, to me is quite amusing. I believe that we need more liberal thinkers in this state in order to solve many of the state's problems. I am taking the class so that I can further my knowledge of Texas politics and stay ahead of the ignorant mass that plague this state and country. I feel proud to be living in a bastion of liberalism however, it is still not enough to provoke the Texas government into twisting its head on back on. I do hope in the future to move on and live in a state where people care about each other and think as a community as opposed to living in a traditional and individualistic state such as Texas.